Friday, March 18, 2011

I thought I would write a blog post to reflect on this whole "parent" thing. Almost 2 1/2 years since we were blessed with our little angel Greta, she changes and matures daily. She has become such a wonderful friend and a reflection on who Kristi and I are deep inside. Things she does, things I do, things Kristi does all become very surreal as we are truly a mixture of our parents.

As we age and pay more attention to the little things, it is truly amazing how we affect the lives of our kids. The responsibility of being a parent is incredibly huge, with no days off. This is the first "job" I have ever had that I didn't need "time off". Each day is a blessing and fun in its own way. I have always heard that the lessons you teach your children at a very young age will make them who they are, how they react and give them the proper tools to make decisions throughout their life. Pretty heavy, huh? Simple things like picking up her cereal (even if it was just 2 pieces) after she dumped the whole bowl on the floor. Wow, what a battle. After a standoff of about 15 minutes, Greta picked up the cereal and Kristi and I looked at each other like "wow, that could have gone either way" as we were very close to giving up.

Not 2 days later a similar situation happened and she picked it up on her own. I thought to myself, what if we hadn't of insisted those 2 days earlier? The difficulty to teach these important lessons become much harder, the older they get. Thank you to our parents for instilling the values and experience in how to properly raise children. I hope we can make you all proud.

I am very thankful to have this opportunity and I take the responsibility very seriously. I will always be there to love and support my little girl.

We went to Greta's first parent/teacher meeting last week to see how she is doing in "school". The gals that work with her absolutely adore her (as everyone does when they meet her). To hear about all the great things that she does and the way she treats others is one of the greatest compliments I have ever received (even though it was her they were complimenting). She does have some "drag the guys around the room" qualities that she certainly gets from her mother. I am sure that there will be a lucky "Huschka Man" in her DISTANT future. She is a better deligator than her father.

I have always had an ability to move on to the next stage in my life without regrets or holding onto the past....till now. As much as I love Greta's new stages with conversation and potty training, etc. , I realize that the baby stuff is becoming a memory. The saying of "they sure grow up fast" is the understatement of a lifetime. I will spend the remainder of my life trying my best to not forget each stage and soak in each and every opportunity and situation that arises today. What an incredible ride that I would like to take with no one else. Thank you my little angel, your Daddy loves you more than words could ever say.

3 comments:

Baby Berkram said...

She and I are so very very lucky to have you in our life. You are truely a man that has incredible dedication, integrity, love and support to the people you love. Greta will most definately suceed as an individual because of you. Thank you for being my love, partner and the best dad my daughter could ever dream of having!!!

Brady Andrew Weedin said...

Cory this is such a sweet post & so true...sometimes hard to believe that the little things we are teaching our kids are the most important things they will learn to become solid human beings! :)
ali

Gramma A said...

Cory you do have a way with words. Good job on the blog. You 2 are very lucky to have such a wonderful daughter as we are to have her for our grandaughter. She's one of a kind. Love all the pictures. What a seniorita.